Sunday, December 26, 2010

12/26/10: Not Aiming to be Anal

It's important that I don't get too anal with listing my food because I've tried to go off sugar before and haven't been successful. In part because I was compulsive about it, which is also how I eat. And because I've always done it with a "how-do-I-look" end in mind, which is always a set-up because that's not a worthy goal for me personally. This effort needs to be for something bigger than myself now, and since I'm single without spring-offs (by choice), it must be for God and our relationship because everything about me and my life grows from that connection. Improving that connection = improving my life. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

To that end, I'm revising one of my rules: I'm not going to write down the amount of what I eat everyday, unless, again, that practice leads me to eat sugar, etc. So, you'll be able to read what I ate the previous day but not the amount I ate. My primary and only aim this year is to abstain from sugar et al.

I also forgot to tell you that I generally stay away from sugary vegetables, such as corn, beets, carrots, etc. However, I'm not going to be super hard on myself about following that this coming year. I'm already restricted on the amount of green vegetables I can eat each day because I'm on a blood thinner for a history of lupus-related stroke (2006), and I need to eat more veggies than I already so, so hence the break during this experiment. If I get too anal about this project, I will fail. The usual caveats apply.

Yesterday I put an eBay bid on the book Good to the Grain: Baking With Whole-Grain Flours, by Kim Boyce. I read about it in the November 2010 issue of "Whole Living" magazine and it looked really good. It's not a gluten-free recipe book, but I'm going to experiment with substituting with gluten-free flours/sugar substitutes and see what I come up with. I'm conducting an experiment here, not flaying myself for the entire year!

Last, because mood has come upon me (great Irish phrase) to start writing down what I eat, so you'll be able to see that information starting tomorrow instead of waiting until January 1, 2011.
Come on along and keep me company!

No comments:

Post a Comment