Sunday, February 6, 2011

02/06/11: "Love" As Verb

Yesterday's food:

02/05/11 Bed at 10:30 pm/up at 6:30 am

God time? Yes
[P] Egg white
[P] Chicken
[V] Cole slaw
[V] Peas
[V] Broccoli
[F] Apple
[F] Banana
[F] X
[St] Kashi
[St] Brown rice
[D] Skim milk
[D] *Chobani Greek yogurt
[Sn] Nightfood bar
[Nightfood bar] Yes
[W] Three cups (including tea with creamer)

Overall, yesterday may have been my best, most consistent with my experiment food day since I began, which is cool because my zealousness for this experiment is quickly running out. I won't give up; the winning is in the perseverance and commitment, but the drive behind it is quite lagging, LOL. And that's the hard part for me, sustaining the commitment even when I don't feel like it (cue whiny voice). It's also the difficult part of loving, too, either myself or someone else: To keep on loving even when the feeling or wanting to do so is less than present.

I remember being bowled over by Erich Fromm's The Art of Loving when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I had already been exposed to the idea that "love" is an action word, not just a feeling, as well as to the four types of love according to the Greeks: agápe (brotherly and sacrificial love; 1 Corinthians 13), éros (romantic, sensual love), philía (friendship; dispassionate virtuous love), and storgē (affection or tolerance; familial love). These were interesting concepts to me, but they were just mental constructs until I read Fromm, who postulates that love (as a verb) can be learned just as one can lean any other art or craft, by practicing, and then he lays out a manual of sorts for learning how to love, which starts with acquiring knowledge of the person one "loves."


When was the last time you sought knowledge about someone you loved, or wanted to love, rather than going merely by your ephemeral feelings? When was the last time you tried to learn something about yourself so that you could love yourself better? Have you ever tried to love someone whom you hated?


Stay tuned for more <wink>.

No comments:

Post a Comment