Saturday, January 22, 2011

01/22/11: It Goes Both Ways

Yesterday's food:

01/21/11: Bed at 10:30 pm/up at 6:30 am
God time? Yes
[P] Egg white
[P] Almond butter
[P] Swiss Steak
[V] Carrots and beets
[V] Tomatoes and celery
[V] X
[F] Polaner All Fruit
[F] Banana
[F] Apple
[S] Ezekiel English muffin
[S] Brown rice
[Sn] Kashi bar
[Sn] Kashi bar
[D] Babybel cheese "pod"
[D] Milk (1%)
[W] 5 cups (including tea w/ creamer)

It always catches me up short when I have occasion to realize that my communication with God goes both ways. It seems like I'm always yapping at Him, and I forget to listen, even though most of my prayers are centered around asking to know His will for me. Ironic, huh? Better discernment is my goal for this year, so I've got to work on the listening. And developing the patience to wait for Him to speak. Not to mention being aware enough of my own "stuff" to know when it's Him speaking and not my puny little ego.

Take this morning. I was sitting up in bed, all comfy, saying my prayers (for discernment, etc.), journaling, and starting some Bible reading in preparation for church on Sunday. My roommate knocked on my door and then opens it with phone in hand. It's for me, but I've asked her before not to disturb me during my God time unless there's a fire or something else life threatening. So, I feel annoyed and exasperated, not exactly where I had hoped to be this morning. She tells me it's my friend, Thea, so I take the call. Turns out, Thea needed my help, and it only took me about 2 minutes to switch gears from my morning plans to God's morning plans for me and another minute or so to realize that He had shown me His will for that moment. I really like helping this particular friend; I get more from helping her than the help I give her, LOL. So, in the end it took me being willing, flexible (not my greatest skill), and aware, and the whole "transaction" between me and God took only a few minutes, so I'm definitely getting more clear! I hope I have more such experiences to share with you as my experiment progresses :-)

On a food note, I forgot a few days ago to build in my two snacks for the day, so I'm adding them to the food roster. Also, I've been eating Kashi bars (1) because Kashi cereal is an "allowed" food and (2) because sugar is way down on the ingredient list. However, I think I'm going to ditch them because they count as two more starches in a day, and that's double the amount I normally have. As I said in a previous post, this experiment isn't about weight loss, but I'd be stupid to ask for trouble in that department. 

See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment